The Belligerence and Misogyny of Attorney John M. Pierce
The Pierce Bainbridge founder’s misogyny extends beyond his ex-wife and appears to include his current or former 24/7 confidante, Lauren “Mama Bear” Schaefer-Green, as well as women on Twitter.
The Daily Mail has published a heavily sourced piece on lawyer John M. Pierce that is must read material. Certain issues covered concerning Pierce’s treatment of his Harvard Law School educated ex-wife, coupled with issues related to his current or former long-time 24/7 confidante Lauren “Mama Bear” Schaefer-Green, as well as Pierce’s missives to women on Twitter, paint a picture of the former attorney for Rudy Giuliani as more “misogynist pig” than “upstanding gentleman.”
Let’s cut right to the chase.
The Former Wife
This section relies heavily on the detailed reporting of the Daily Mail. Upon a review of that article, and related court filings, Pierce’s misogyny and belligerence could not be more evident; for example:
- Pierce has referred to his ex-wife in writing as a: “bit*h” “cu*t” “skank” and more. Examples are captured within a less than 10-minute period in the middle of the day included in the screenshot below. The reference to “HLS” is “Harvard Law School,” where both Pierce and his ex-wife studied law. Furthermore, according to court records, two other individuals were included on the text exchange — one was Pierce’s long-time current or former 24/7 confidante Lauren “Mama Bear” Schaefer-Green, the other a then-firm client. (More on Schaefer-Green below.)
- After this onslaught, which included over 60 belligerent and threatening texts, Pierce’s ex-wife obtained an emergency protective order from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD).
- Pierce’s former spouse said under oath that in 2016 she was informed by a UCLA doctor that Pierce had “expressed and intense desire to kill me.” Pierce is the “Respondent” in the screenshot below.
Pierce denied this, however, according to his ex-wife’s sworn declaration, the “LAPD Mental Evaluation Unit” was called and a related “police report” filed.
Aside from these two incidents, there appears to be at least a third one involving a woman, the Los Angeles Police Department and John M. Pierce. Indeed, Pierce himself — as reflected in court papers — speaks of a woman “went to jail for beating me,” who he identified only as “Last name Guzman. Of the El Chapo family.”
Finally, aside from the misogyny and belligerence, two quotes from Pierce’s own e-mails — published in the Daily Mail — caught our eye. . .
- “I cannot handle life anymore.” ~John Pierce, August 2016
- “I just never grew up.” ~John Pierce, August 2016
Perhaps these feelings of immaturity and despair play a role in Pierce’s general poor behavior, as well as his mistreatment of women.
The Long-Time 24/7 Confidante
A self-proclaimed jewelry maker named Lauren Schaefer-Green became Pierce’s 24/7 confidante in around 2015. Schaefer-Green refers to herself as “Mama Bear,” a screenshot below is from a public complaint with Schaefer-Green expressing concern about Pierce’s boozing.
As with his ex-wife, Pierce has taunted and mocked Schaefer-Green over text messages, and even denigrated her to the entire law firm. For example, in a publicly filed firm-wide message, Pierce referred to “Lauren” as “not stable.”
Pierce also suggested “Lauren” is a “psycho female,” as well as an “extortionist.” It is reflected in a communication from Pierce to ex-Pierce Bainbridge named-partner Carolynn K. Beck, included in a public court filing:
Beck, now a partner at Goldstein & McClintock, apparently did nothing and went on to become the firm’s General Counsel. In addition, Pierce’s ex-wife accused the firm of assisting in “stonewalling” subpoenas for documents in the months after she obtained a domestic violence restraining order — Beck was the firm General Counsel at the time.
The Women on Twitter
The John M. Pierce misogyny has also reared its ugly head Twitter.
In one instance, a female tweeter threatened to sue Pierce over donations related to Kyle Rittenhouse, in another there was disagreement over legal strategy with a tweeter who had identified as a “military mom.”
In both instances, rather than offer reasoned, nuanced or intelligent response, Pierce, resorted to, well, have a look for yourself. . .
The two screenshots — taken three days apart — speak for themselves, with the obvious caveat that the one on the right constitutes sarcasm.
While we could present plenty more, the information herein suffices to form a crystal clear view into the belligerence and misogyny that unfortunately appears to be a John Mark Pierce way of life.
Addendum: Rudy Giuliani hired John Pierce’s firm Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP for Ukraine in November 2019. The corrupt firm splintered months later. The conduct of Pierce and certain of his former partners is the subject of “Gangland Tactics or Aggressive Lawyering?” It is a fascinating read.