Rudy Giuliani, Shady Money Issues & Subpoenas — Ex-Pierce Bainbridge Client Under Fire
According to Vanity Fair, President Trump’s personal lawyer has received a vote of no-confidence from his daughter. Time Magazine said last year: “Rudy Giuliani Once Fought Corruption, Now He Is Embroiled in It.” A brief timeline aligns with this negativity: federal subpoenas, money laundering and even a “traitor” accusation are in the mix.
- March 6, 2019. According to Vox, Paul Manafort pled guilty to “offenses against the government include money laundering. . .”
- October 3, 2019. According to Rolling Stone, “Rudy Giuliani has consulted with Paul Manafort ‘several times’ in recent months.”
- October 16, 2019. “The problem is we need some money,” Giuliani during an accidental call to NBC.
- November 6, 2019. Giuliani tweets that he’s hired Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP for Ukraine. Pierce Bainbridge founder John Pierce says Rudy is his “good friend.”
- November 14, 2019. A litigation financier Virage Capital Management commits to a second multi-million infusion to Pierce Bainbridge.
- November 25, 2019. According to The Week: “Subpoenas have been issued to people with ties to Giuliani . . . as part of an investigation led by the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office and the FBI. . . Among the charges reportedly under consideration . . . are obstruction of justice, money laundering.”
- November 26, 2019. According the Miami Herald: “Giuliani met with feds to discuss Venezuelan client in Miami money-laundering case.”
- March 12, 2020. Giuliani’s long-time colleague Marc Mukasey quits as counsel for Pierce Bainbridge citing ethical concerns with continued representation.
- April 22, 2020. Reports surface Pierce Bainbridge owes Virage Capital $65 million after just one year. Pierce Bainbridge, a litigation firm, won zero trials during that year. A criminal lawyer recently asked if John Pierce is involved in running a Ponzi Scheme? (Video at the link.)
- September 3, 2020. Daily Beast reports on the financial mess at Pierce Bainbridge. (Pierce now represents Kyle Rittenhouse, his ex-partners left for Hecht Partners LLP, Bradford Edwards & Varlack LLP, Goldstein & McClintock LLLP and more pre-Rittenhouse.)
- Questions have been raised as to whether Rittenhouse is being used for political and financial purposes? (Additional disturbing news about Pierce has surfaced, as well.)
- September 16, 2020. Salon reports on an “invisible company” owned by Giuliani, as well as an investigation offering “new insight into mechanisms of [Giuliani’s] elaborate and purposefully obscure business, income and payment arrangements, which have reportedly been the subject of subpoenas from federal investigators.”
- October 15, 2020. According to CNN, “The White House was warned in 2019 that President Donald Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani “was being used to feed Russian misinformation” to the President, The Washington Post reported Thursday.
- October 18, 2020. Representative Hakeem Jeffries (Brooklyn, New York) expresses strong views on the former New York City Mayor.
Giuliani, subpoenas, money laundering, Russian misinformation, maybe something there, maybe not.
Lots unfolding, lots in play, lots of interest.
Time will tell.