John M. Pierce of Pierce Bainbridge, Lawyer for Kyle Rittenhouse, is Asking for Your Money. Who Is John Pierce?
Let’s cut right to the chase. John Pierce has been dubbed lead counsel for Kyle Rittenhouse. The #FightbackFoundation says it is collecting donations, in part, for Rittenhouse. This has caused concern based on Pierce’s wide ranging and documented issues. What follows is a summary of media reports, court filings and Pierce’s own tweets which help with the question: Who Is John Mark Pierce?
- Massive Debt. Pierce ran a law firm, Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP the racked up a reported estimated $65 million debt in approximately one year. Pierce, per his own Income and Expense Declaration from November 2019, appears personally broke.
To be fair, Pierce appears to have had help essentially running Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP into the ground; his ex-co name-partners were James D. Bainbridge (Bainbridge Law APC), Carolynn K. Beck (Goldstein & McClintock LLLP), Max Price (Hecht Partners LLP) and David L. Hecht (Hecht Partners LLP).
2. Threats of Violence. Pierce’s former spouse sought domestic violence restraining orders in 2016 and 2019. Screen shots are below, here are just a few of Pierce’s own texts tweeted by a reporter for Business Insider which led to the 2019 restraining order request.
3. The Lawsuits Upon Lawsuits. Pierce and/or his law firm have been named as defendants in at least eight lawsuits in 2020 alone. Four of the lawsuits are from cash advance lenders, two are from vendors, one from a landlord; each of them allege failure to fulfill payment obligations. (The Medium article here contains documentation from the lawsuits.)
4. Pledging of the Same Collateral for Tens of Millions in Cash. Pierce repeatedly pledged the same collateral for tens of millions in cash. Most of it apparently remains unpaid. (A document with excerpts from court filings illustrating the multiple pledging is here.)
5. Dramatic Disintegration of the Pierce Bainbridge Law Firm. Within less than a year, under the watch of name-partners John Pierce, Jim Bainbridge, Carolynn Beck, Max Price & David Hecht, the firm imploded from approximately 70 attorneys to approximately 4 attorneys.
6. Violence. Pierce apparently lost his job at the K&L Gates law firm for physically assaulting another employee.
7. Pierce Apparently Absconds with $2.5 Million. Pierce signed a “merchant cash advance” agreement on February 19, 2020 for $2.5 million upfront cash. The agreement called for daily repayments of $37,500 until $3.75 million was paid. By July 2020, several months later, Pierce and his firm had paid nothing and an approximate $4 million money judgment was entered against the firm in New York State Supreme Court. (The Medium article here contains supporting documentation.)
8. The First Pierce Bainbridge Litigation Funder Declared $9.1 Million Default. Pierce spewed public nonsense about the firms’ relationship with its initial litigation funder Pravati Capital; for example, representing that the funder (or lender) was paid down in the “ordinary course of business.” An illustrative excerpt from a national leading legal periodical based, in part, on publicly filed government documents is below.
There is more, but the above should suffice for now.
Pierce’s Own Communications
It is also worth reviewing Pierce’s own communications. They appear to show Pierce soliciting or chasing the Rittenhouse representation and then going in overdrive for donations, which Pierce himself said can go to his own firm. Recall, Pierce has massive personal and professional debt. A small sampling of texts are below.
- August 27, 2020. Pierce appears to solicit or chase the Rittenhouse representation.
- August 27, 2020. Pierce immediately begins a fundraising push and says says donations can flow to his own Pierce Bainbridge law firm.
- September 1, 2020. Pierce appears to, in many people’s opinion, exploit his 17-year old client in connection with Pierce’s fundraising efforts. Recall, Pierce has massive personal and professional debt.
What Is John Pierce’s Agenda?
Court filings, Pierce’s own communications, leading media reports; the documented information has been presented.
Draw your own conclusions.
Is John Pierce looking out for Kyle Rittenhouse?
Or is John Pierce looking out for John Pierce?